Recipe: Pan-Roasted Salmon with Roasted Tomato Caper Vinaigrette
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark - March 28, 2021
This pan-roasted salmon dish is an easy way to make a fine dining entrée in the comfort of your own home, at a fraction of the cost. We love enjoying this salmon either as a stand-alone dish, or paired with a leafy green salad or bowl of homemade pasta. The capers add a bit of brine and brightness to the savory roasted tomato sauce, and they pair perfectly well with the butteriness of the salmon to bring you a divinely balanced dish.
This recipe features one of our favorite techniques for cooking salmon – the reverse sear. With a set of oven-proof cookware, the technique really only features a simple flip of the salmon after a few minutes on the cooktop, before transferring it to the oven to let it do the rest. The one trick is ensuring you don’t overcook your salmon in the oven – thus, if you are using a larger piece of salmon, you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Have extra roasted tomato caper vinaigrette? We love reheating our leftover sauce and drizzling it over some homemade pasta the next day!
• Prep Time: 10 minutes
• Actual Cooking Time: 15 minutes
• Total Time: 25 minutes
• Serving: 2
• 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
• 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon drained capers
• 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
• 1 TBSP salt, separated
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 fillets of salmon (about 4-6 oz each)
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin (or curry powder, if you prefer)
• 1 TBSP minced parsley, to garnish
• 1 TBSP chopped basil, to garnish
• Get the Oven Going. Preheat oven to 425 °.
• Prepare the Vinaigrette. In a bowl, toss the tomatoes with the shallot, capers, vinegar, and ½ tbsp of salt. Set aside.
• Sear that Salmon. In medium ovenproof skillet, heat 1 TBSP olive oil. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet, skin-side up. Cook over moderately high heat until well-browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes.
• Carefully flip the fillets.
• Let the Oven Do the Rest. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast until the salmon is cooked, about 7 minutes. Transfer fish to plates and pour off any fat in the skillet.
• Roast the Vinaigrette. Placed skillet over moderate heat and add the tomato mixture along with the cumin, canola oil, and the remaining 2 TBSP of olive oil. Cook, scraping up bits stuck to skillet, until the tomatoes soften, about 2 minutes.
• Plate. Pour the sauce over the salmon, sprinkle with parsley and basil and serve right away.
Buy Fresh Atlantic Salmon Online
This recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's fresh Atlantic Salmon Fillet. SoPo's Salmon is available in 1 lb increments - skin-off.