Recipe: Pan-seared Maine Scallops with Grapefruit and Ginger
by Evan Kalman and our partners at Seafood from Maine
Looking for an absolutely delicious scallop recipe? Our partners from Seafood from Maine sourced sea scallops from us and had the masterful Evan Kalman create this delightful pan-seared scallop with grapefruit and ginger recipe.
With just some citrus, scallops, and a few extras, you can whip up a mouthwatering meal in just twenty minutes.
• 12 (about 1 lb) large Maine Scallops, patted dry
• 1 lime
• 1 small ruby red grapefruit
• ½-inch piece of fresh ginger, minced or grated
• 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
• 1 tsp honey
• 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp unsalted butter
• 1 green onion, thinly sliced
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Zest the entire lime and grapefruit into a small bowl.
2. Using a sharp knife, remove the pith (the stringy, spongy white part between the peel and the fruit) and peel of the grapefruit. Start by trimming off the very top and bottom of the fruit. Next, set the fruit on one end. Carefully cut the peel from the flesh by starting at the top and following the curve down. Supreme (segment) the citrus by cutting along the white membrane and removing each segment of fruit. Remove any seeds and add to the bowl with the zest.
3. Hold the grapefruit membranes (the remaining part without the fruit sections) over the bowl with the zest and squeeze to juice. In the same bowl, combine the ginger, garlic, lime juice, honey, and 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
4. Season the scallops generously with salt. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high until just beginning to smoke. Add the scallops in a single layer and give them a gentle press. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and flip the scallops over. Add the butter to the skillet and baste using a spoon for 30 seconds.
6. Transfer the scallops to a serving platter, spoon the ginger-citrus mixture all over, and sprinkle with the green onions. Serve warm.
Buy Sea Scallops Online
This recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's fresh Maine Dayboat Scallops. The Maine Dayboat Scallop season runs from December through to April. Outside of this time, we offer dry-packed scallops harvested in federel Gulf of Maine waters.
Our Sea Scallops can be ordered online for overnight delivery or picked up in our South Portland Maine Fish Market.