How To: Butter Poached Lobster
A step by step guide to the simple art of butter poaching lobster meat
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark - March 26, 2021
Easy and delicious, poaching a lobster in butter cooks the lobster meat slowly and gently so as not to make the meat tough. Butter poached lobster is done by removing the meat from the lobster and gently cooking it in melted butter at a gentle simmer and never a boil. Once cooked, the flavorful lobster meat can be paired with any number of ingredients for a delicious dish – from linguine alfredo with lobster to meaty lobster rolls.
This butter poaching recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's Raw Maine Lobster Meat.
• Prep Time: 10 minutes
• Cook Time: 10 minutes
• Total Time: 20 minutes
• (optional) 2 TBSP water
• 1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into 1 TBSP pieces
• (1) 2 LB bag of raw lobster knuckle and claw meat, defrosted if frozen
• Handful of chopped parsley, for serving
• 1 lemon, for serving
• (Optional) Place 2 TBSP water in a large pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat
• Prepare the Butter. Slowly add slices of butter to the simmering water and whisk to ensure it stays liquid. Continue adding butter. Do not let the butter come to a boil or the butter will separate. If using a thermometer, try to keep the butter between 160 and 175 °F.
• Never let the butter boil. Bring to a medium heat, never to a boil, and reduce heat if necessary.
• Add the lobster to the butter bath. Add defrosted, raw lobster meat, and submerge. Depending on the size of your saucepan, you may need to work in batches. Cook for 6-8 minutes over low heat, and turn lobster in butter mixture.
• Remove from heat using tongs, and serve!
Buy Raw Maine Lobster Meat Online
This butter poach recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's Raw Cold-Cracked Maine Lobster Meat. Our Raw Lobster Meat is available in 8 oz or 2 lb flash-frozen bags.