Recipe: Seared Scallops with Seaweed Butter + Hackleback Caviar
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark AKA The Briny Babe - April 28, 2022
Fresh Maine scallops seared in butter is near the top of our list for the best-ever seafood recipe of all time. But we wanted to take it up a notch with some delicious homemade seaweed butter with an indulgent touch of hackleback caviar!
Seaweed butter is quickly becoming our go-to ingredient for grilled seafood – the umami savoriness that the seaweed exudes is just next-level good. We create our seaweed butter using a combination of ingredients from our friends at Ocean Balance, the creator of premier sustainable Maine seaweed products. For this recipe, we used some delicious dried Maine wakame and some Maine dulse flakes (affectionately known as the “bacon of the sea”). This seaweed butter is a cinch to throw together, and brings a savory note to compliment the sweetness of our Maine scallops. The best part – this butter can be slathered on all seafood – from salmon filets on the grill to broiled whitefish!
• Prep Time: 10 minutes
• Cook Time: 10 minutes
• Servings: 2
Seared Scallops with Seaweed Butter + Hackleback Caviar Recipe Video
1. The Seaweed Butter: In a food processor or spice grinder, combine 3-4 pieces of dried wakame and 1 TBSP dulse flakes. Pulse until the seaweed is the consistency of a fine grain powder. Add in 4 TBSP unsalted butter and continue to pulse until the seaweed and the butter are well-combined. Scoop the seaweed butter out of the food processor and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. The Scallops: Prep your scallops by patting both sides of the scallops dry. You will notice that all scallops are a bit lopsided – one side of the scallop will be longer than the other. The longer side is what you will want to sear first. Lightly salt the longer end of the scallop.
3. Sear, Baby, Sear: Swirl 1 TBSP avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. You’ll want to ensure you’re using an oil with a high burning temperature. Carefully, add the scallops, long side down, to the skillet. Ensure your scallops have plenty of space in the skillet – be careful not to overcrowd the skillet! Cook the scallops for 2-3 minutes, using a spoon to baste the avocado oil over the scallop as they sear. Flip the scallops. Add in 2 TBSP seaweed butter. Continue to cook the scallops 60-90 seconds more, basting the scallops with the seaweed butter.
4. Plating: Dollop the remaining seaweed butter on bottom of plate. Add scallops atop the seaweed butter.
5. Ta-Da! Top each scallop with a generous spoonful of hackleback caviar. Enjoy!
Buy Fresh Sea Scallops & Maine Seaweed Online
This recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's sushi-grade quality Sea Scallops and Maine Seaweed. Both products can be ordered online for overnight delivery or picked up in our South Portland Maine Fish Market.