Recipe: Baked Maine Crab and Sweet Corn Cakes with Corn Salad Salsa
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark AKA The Briny Babe - May 20, 2021
We love the addition of sweet corn to this traditional Maine crab cake. These crab cakes can be sautéed in a pan, but we prefer simply popping them in the oven to ensure they cook quickly and evenly. With a delicately crispy exterior and hearty, meaty interior, these crab cakes are delightful as either appetizers or entrees. Because we incorporate sweet corn into the crab cake itself, we love pairing these cakes with a colorful and refreshing salsa featuring some juicy cherry tomatoes, sweet corn, and fragrant basil.
Maine Crab Cake Recipe Video
Makes approximately 5 medium, or 8 petite crab patties.
Prep Tip: 15 minutes
Refrigeration Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
• 8 oz fresh crab meat
• ½ cup sweet corn
• 2 cups panko
• 1 Egg, beaten
• 2 scallions, finely chopped
• ¼ cup red bell pepper, minced
• 1 TBSP light mayonnaise
• 1 TBSP fat free yogurt
• 2 TBSP parsley, chopped
• ½ lemon, juiced
• Salt and pepper, to taste
For the remoulade
• ¼ cup Mayo
• 1 tsp pickle juice
• ½ tsp Dijon Mustard
For the Corn Salad Salsa
• 1 cup of sweet corn
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
• Add 1 TBSP basil, chopped
• Add in 1 TBSP lime juice
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Make Your Crab Cake Base. In a medium bowl, combine the sweet corn, panko, beaten egg, chopped scallions, minced red bell pepper, light mayonnaise, fat free yogurt, chopped parsley, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Mix ingredients with hands for with a whisk to combine.
• Add in the Crab. Add the crab meat into the sweet corn mixture. Use your hands or a whisk to further combine.
• Form the Cakes. Use a ½ cup or an ice cream scooper to scoop the crab and sweet corn cake mixture into spheres. Place onto a parchment paper-lined baking tray.
• Refrigerate to Let Those Patties Form. Place the pre-shaped patties in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes.
• Bake the Crab Cakes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Once preheated, remove the crab cakes from the refrigerator, and place in the oven for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip the patties, and return to the oven for another 12 minutes.
• Make the Remoulade: Mix together the ¼ Cup of Mayonnaise, 1 tsp pickle juice, ½ tsp Dijon Mustard, and whisk to combine. Refrigerate until you are ready to use.
• Make the Corn Salad Salsa: In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of sweet corn, 1 cup of quartered cherry tomatoes, 1 TBSP chopped basil, 1 TBSP lime juice, and salt and pepper. Mix with a fork to combine.
Buy Fresh Maine Crab Meat Online
This recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's fresh wild-caught Maine Crab Meat. Our crab is caught in traps by local fishermen along the Maine Coast. They are then cooked and picked by hand. The hand-picking process produces a quality of crab that is unsurpassed.