Recipe: New England Style Baked Haddock with Ritz Crackers
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark - March 13, 2021
Traditionally, New England baked haddock is made using Ritz crackers (which are, incidentally, from New England) crumbled up with butter and spread on top of the fish, then baked in the oven with lemon and herbs. This is an easy-to-execute dish with minimal preparation, and it tastes delicious atop a generous serving of vegetables or garnished with some tartar sauce and a lightly-toasted brioche bun for a heaty New England fish sandwich.
High-quality fresh Gulf of Maine Haddock was used for this recipe. Most Haddock on the market has been previously frozen. SoPo Seafood's Haddock is caught in day-boat trips and delivered fresh.
• Prep Time: 10 minutes
• Cook Time: 20 minutes
• Total Time: 30 minutes
• 2 pounds skinless haddock fillets
• 1 sleeve of Ritz crackers (about 34 crackers)
• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
• Lemon and parsley for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a small baking pan or casserole pan with butter or a little canola oil. Rinse off the fish fillets with cold water, pat dry. Use long nose pliers to remove any pin bones from the fillets.
3. Place fillets in bottom of dish, and sprinkle both sides of the fish with salt and pepper.
4. Top fish with Ritz Cracker butter mixture. Melt the butter. Crush the Ritz crackers and place in a bowl; they should look like coarse breadcrumbs. Mix the melted butter with the breadcrumbs. Pack the crumb mixture over the top and sides of the fish fillets.
5. Bake. Place in the 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily. (Thin fillets may take less time; very thick fillets may take longer).
6. Serve. Serve the fish with lemon and parsley.
• Looking for More Flavor? But if you’re looking for bolder flavor, try adding spices or herbs to the breadcrumb mixture, such as fresh parsley, dill, chives, garlic (powder or fresh), onion powder, and/or lemon zest. Grated parmesan cheese would also taste great added in!
• A Ritz Cracker Bonus: New England Baked Haddock is traditionally made with crushed Ritz Crackers. Nowadays, there are many flavor varieties to these Ritz crackers, and they naturally invite some flavor experimentation with your baked haddock. We loved our haddock with the “Garlic Butter” and “Everything” flavor of Ritz Crackers.
• If your fish is particularly thick, you may need more time to cook it. The cooking time indicated is for fish about ¾”-1” thick. Keep in mind, oven temperatures vary as well.