Recipe: Smoked Salmon Tart
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark AKA The Briny Babe - July 23, 2021
Adore Bagels and Lox but want something a bit lighter and more shareable? This Smoked Salmon Tart complete with some Everything But the Bagel-inspired Seaweed Flakes is perfect for brunch. This insanely easy-to-prepare recipe features a golden, flakey puffed pastry, sprinkled with some Ocean Balance Seaweed Flakes, slathered in cream cheese, and topped with savory smoked salmon from Grindstone Neck in Winter Harbor, Maine. Simply delicious and easy-on-the-eye, this little-effort tart is a new staple on our brunch table for many weekends to come.
Servings: 4 People
Prep Tip: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Smoked Salmon Tart Recipe Video
Smoked Salmon Tart Ingredients:
• 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed if frozen
• 1-2 TBSP Ocean Balance Seaweed Flakes, or Everything But the Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe’s works wonderfully too!
• 1 large egg + 1 teaspoon water, lightly beaten for egg wash
• 2/3 cup whipped cream cheese
• 3 to 4 ounces smoked salmon
• Quick pickled onions, for garnish
• Fresh dill, for sprinkling
• Capers, for garnish
• Thinly sliced lemon
Pickled Onion Ingredients:
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• ½ cup warm water
• 1 ½ TBSP sugar
• 1 tsp coarse salt
• ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
1. Prep that Pastry. Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Carefully place a sheet of puff pastry on the baking sheet. Poke holes all over the puff pastry with a fork. Brush the entire pastry with the egg wash. Next, sprinkle the edges of the sheet with the Seaweed Flakes (or Everything But the Bagel seasoning).
2. Watch it Puff. Bake the puff pastry for 20-25 minutes, until it’s golden brown and puffy. If it is puffed up a lot in the center, you can poke it with a fork to deflate it a bit. Note: if your puff pastry packaging has recommended baking times, we recommend following those. For instance, if you purchase a Gluten Free puff pastry, the baking time will be significantly less, and you don’t want to burn your tart!
3. Careful with Your Cream Cheese. Once out of the oven, let the pastry cool slightly. Gently spread the cream cheese over the pastry. It may be a bit tricky to spread the cream cheese, at it may lift a few flakey bits from the tops of the pastry – that’s why we use the whipped cream cheese, it is light and fluffy and not as heavy as non-whipped cream.
4. Bring on the Aesthetics. Layer the smoked salmon on top of the cream cheese. Add on the pickled onions, fresh dill, capers, and another pinch of your Seaweed Flakes / Everything But the Bagel seasoning. Spritz with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
5. Slice and serve!
Steps to Make the Pickled Onions
1. Place the red onion slices in a jar or cup.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the warm water, sugar and salt until the sugar and salt have fully dissolved. Whisk in the vinegar. Pour the mixture over the sliced onions.
3. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
4. You can store in the fridge in a sealed container or jar for up to 1 week.
Buy Atlantic Smoked Salmon Online
This recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's smoked Atlantic Salmon. Our smoked salmon is available in 4 oz packs.