Recipe: Scallop Crudo with Coconut Milk and Lime
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark AKA the Briny Babe - March 18, 2022
This is a refreshing and delicious way to enjoy fresh local scallops. The coconut milk marinade in this recipe is subtle, with the saltiness of the soy sauce and fish sauce paired nicely with the acidity of the lime; the sweetness of the raw scallops will shine in the cool, creamy marinade. The radish and cilantro add some texture and color, and the diced thai chili and chili oil give the dish just enough heat to make things interesting.
The key to this dish—you want to work with the freshest scallops available. When scallops are fresh, they can be eaten raw, and taste like a luxurious scoop of sweet cream butter. We recommend trying this recipe out with either our Live Scallops, our Sea-Grade Scallops, or our jumbo Gulf of Maine Scallops.
Scallop Crudo Recipe Video
• Serves: 4
• Prep Time: 5 minutes
• Marinate Time: 15 minutes - 1 hour
• 1 can coconut milk
• 1 tsp fish sauce
• 1 tsp soy sauce
• Juice of 1 lime
• 2 TBSP mirin
• 1 pound sea scallops, the freshest possible
• 1 small red radish, sliced
• Handful of cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
• 1 thai chili, finely diced
• Maine Sea Salt
• Chili Oil, a few drops
1. Set a large pan over medium heat, and add the coconut milk. Simmer the coconut milk until it reaches approximately ¼ its original volume, stirring occasionally. When the coconut milk is sufficiently reduced, it will be noticeably thicker than when it was first added to the pan.
2. Transfer the reduced coconut milk to a mixing bowl, and place in the refrigerator to cool.
3. When the coconut milk is chilled, add the fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and mirin. Whisk to combine.
4. If using live scallops (pictured above and can be ordered here), follow our How to Shuck a Scallop Guide. If working with pre-prepped scallops, rinse the scallops under cold water to remove any sand or grit, and pat them dry. Slice each scallop into thin round slivers, and place the scallop slivers into the coconut milk mixture. Let the scallops marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, and up to one hour.
5. Slice the radish into very thin rounds using a mandolin or sharp knife. Roughly chop the cilantro leaves.
6. To serve, drizzle the coconut mixture onto a plate. Next, arrange slivers of scallops onto the plate. Nestle the radish rounds in with the scallop slivers, and sprinkle a little bit of Maine Sea salt on top of the dish. Sprinkle chopped cilantro and diced thai chili over the dish. Drip a few small drops of chili oil over the plate. Serve and enjoy.
Buy Sea Scallops Online
This recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's fresh Sea Scallops. Our fresh/dry packed scallops are available to purchase online for overnight delivery to your door or for pick up at our retail fish market in South Portland.