Fishmonger - Ep. 1
Q: I am having some friends over for dinner. How much seafood should I portion for my guests?
Whether cooking for yourself or a crowd, determining how much seafood to serve can be a challenge. A good rule of thumb is to prepare 6-8 oz of fish per person for an entrée, and 3-4 oz per person for an appetizer portion. Keep in mind, this is the “raw weight” of the fish when purchased from a fish monger—some seafood has parts that you may not consume (for instance, the shell of a lobster or the bones of a whole fish).
Check out our video below on how to portion seafood!
Here's an overview of our portion recommendations
Fish Fillets + Fish Steaks:
• 6-8 oz/person for an entrée portion
• 3-4 oz per person for an appetizer
✧ Check out our salmon or haddock fillets, or our tuna or swordfish steaks.
• 2-3 oz / person for an appetizer portion
• 4-6 oz / person for an entrée portion
✧ Check out our U-10 scallops, 10/20 scallops, and Nantucket Bay Scallops
• 8 oz/person for an entrée portion
• 4 oz/person for an appetizer
✧ Check out our Fair Trade Del Pacifico Shrimp or our USA Gulf Shrimp
• 4-6oz crab meat/person for an entrée portion
• 3-4 oz crab meat/person for an appetizer portion or a crab roll
✧ Check out our Fresh Picked Maine Peekytoe Crab Meat
• 3-4 oz / person for an appetizer portion
• 6-8 oz / person for an entrée portion
✧ Check out our fresh picked Maine Lobster Meat
• 4-6 oysters / person for an appetizer portion
• 8-12 oysters / person for an entrée portion
✧ Check out our Maine Oyster Variety Selection
• 1 lb/person for an entrée portion
Ask a FISHMONGER
Have a question for our fishmongers? Send it our way!
Ordering Seafood at SoPo
At SoPo, you can order seafood for overnight delivery across the USA or purchase seafood instore at our South Portland Fish Market. Overnight delivery orders can be placed directly on the SoPo website. Delivery is available Tuesday-Friday.