Recipe: Gulf of Maine Scallop Crudo with Seaweed Salad
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark AKA the Briny Babe
Gulf of Maine scallops are so buttery and unbelievably fresh, sometimes it is criminal to cook them. Instead, I prepared them raw, and paired them with some crunchy watermelon radishes and cucumbers for a contrast in textures, and pop of color. The sweetness of the scallops complements the fresh lemon juice and fermented seaweed salad from Atlantic Sea Farms. Plus our Maine Sea Salt and savory Seaweed Flakes from Ocean Balance tie the entire dish together.
The best thing about this gorgeous scallop appetizer – it can be prepared quickly.
Thus, when your guests are ogling over your seafood creation, you can whip them up a plate in no time!
• Prep Time: 5 minutes
• Marinate Time: 5 minutes
•Total Time: 10 minutes
• Servings: We apportion 2-3 whole scallops per person for an appetizer sampling
• 12 fresh sea scallops
• 2 watermelon radishes, thinly sliced
• 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
• 1 stalk of scallion, thinly sliced
• 2 lemons, cut into wedges
• 1 TBSP Atlantic Sea Farms’ Fermented Seaweed Salad
• Sprinkling of Ocean Balance Seaweed Flakes
• Extra virgin olive oil, use your best
• Maine sea salt
• A sharp knife
1. Slice the scallops in half. Divide amongst the serving plates.
2. Tuck some watermelon radishes and cucumber slices between the scallop, arranging them in a circular pattern (or another pattern you like!)
3. Squeeze some lemon juice over the scallops, about one lemon wedge per plate, plus more at the table. Drizzle a liberal amount of olive oil over everything--the scallops should glisten a bit and some of the oil should pool on the plate.
4. Top everything with the thinly-sliced scallions, a dollop of the Atlantic Sea Farms’ Fermented Seaweed Salad, a couple sprinklings of sea salt, and a dash of the Ocean Balance Seaweed Flakes.
Buy Sushi-Grade Sea Scallops Online
This recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's sushi-grade scallops. SoPo's scallops are available to purchase online for delivery to your door or for pick up at our retail fish market in South Portland.