Recipe: Smoked Haddock and Leek Tart
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark AKA The Briny Babe - May 12, 2022
This delicious smoked haddock and leek tart is our secret weapon for a fast and easy brunch recipe that will have your guests heaping more slices onto their plates. Deliciously smoky and cheesy, this Smoked Haddock and Leek Tart satisfies a smoked seafood craving we didn’t know we had.
Grindstone Neck of Maine, is a family-owned smokehouse in Winter Harbor, Maine that specializes in artisanal smoked local seafood products. We recently tried the Cold Smoked Haddock, which has been cured and smoked in the traditional Scott style using an exclusive hardwood blend. The cured and smoked haddock is meant to be cooked further once it is removed from its packaging, and we tested it out in tart form. Rich, creamy, and oh-so-smoky, we’re not ashamed to say we devoured this tart in a single sitting. This recipe allows for inventive approaches – perhaps a delicious smoked gouda blend or throwing in some bacon or pancetta? The possibilities are endless!
• Prep Time: 10 minutes
• Cook Time: 35 minutes
• Total Time: 45 minutes
• Servings: 2
Smoked Haddock and Leek Tart Recipe Video
• 2 medium leeks
• 1 lb Smoked Haddock, Grindstone Neck of Maine
• 2 cups whole milk
• ¾ cup cheddar cheese, grated
• ¾ cup heavy cream
• 2 large eggs plus 2 extra yolks
• Chives, to garnish
• Prepared pie or tart crust, 8.5-9” in diameter
1. Prepare the Leeks: Cut away most of the darker green tops of the leeks (save them for making stock!). Cut the remaining parts of the leeks into 1-inch rounds on an angle. Wash them in plenty of water, but be careful not to break up the rounds too much.
2. Smoke Show: Place the smoked haddock in a pan, and pour over just enough milk to cover. Bring to a simmer. Be sure not to boil the milk, and only cook for as long as it takes for the fish to flake (about 5 minutes). Lift the haddock out of the milk using a slotted spoon, and allow to cool. Add the drained leeks to the milk, pop a lid on the pan, just ajar, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 6-8 minutes until leeks are tender. Lift the leeks out to a colander to drain.
3. Preparing the Tart: Transfer leeks to a large mixing bowl. Flake the haddock into large pieces, and add to bowl. Add in the grated cheese, and some freshly cracked pepper. Mix everything together with a fork. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tart on a baking tray, arranging it as evenly as you can.
4. The Smoked Custard: In a medium bowl, combine the cream, eggs and egg yolks in a bowl. Whisk in 1 cup of the smoky, leeky milk, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Pour custard over the tart filling, and give it a jiggle to settle fish and leeks into it.
5. Carefully place tart in the oven. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes, or until set and a little blistered.
6. Allow the tart to cool, curt, serve, and enjoy!
Buy Finnan Haddie Online
This recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's Finnan Haddie. Our smoked haddock can be ordered online for overnight delivery or picked up in our South Portland Maine Fish Market.