Recipe: Maine Lobster Rolls
A step by step guide to making the most delicious Maine lobster rolls
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark - March 20, 2021
Lobster rolls are one of the quintessential Maine indulgences, and a great way to bring a taste of coastal New England to your table. Fresh, simple ingredients make these lobster rolls a crave-worthy summer classic. Our lobster roll piles mounds of fresh chilled lobster meat onto buttered and griddled split-top hotdog buns.
For Maine lobster rolls, gently toss the lobster meat with a good-quality mayonnaise. The lobster is the main focus here, so you want just enough mayonnaise to bind the lobster, without overpowering the deliciousness of the savory meat. A note, since some mayonnaise brands are more tart then others, we like to taste the lobster salad, and add just a small squeeze of lemon juice if the mixture needs brightening.
If you’re going for a purist recipe, the lobster and a light coating of mayonnaise will easily satiate your foodie desires. If you want to add in some additional flavor garnishes, we recommend experimenting with some chopped green onion, chives, or celery.
• Prep Time: 10 minutes
• Cook Time: 10 minutes
• Total Time: 20 minutes
• 2 lbs of cooked lobster meat (or, if you prefer to prepare your lobster separately, check out our Butter Poached Lobster Recipe!)
• 3-4 Tablespoons good mayonnaise
• Freshly-squeezed lemon juice (optional)
• Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
• ¼ cup chopped celery (optional)
• ¼ cup chopped chives (optional)
• ¼ cup chopped green onion (optional)
• 4 split-top hotdog buns (“New England” style)
• 1-2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
• Prepare your lobster meat. If using pre-cooked lobster meat, ensure that the meat is properly chilled, but not frozen. Next, empty the container of meat into a colander, and strain out any liquid. Once strained, roughly chop your knuckle and claw meat into ½-inch chunks.
• Create the lobster salad. Gently toss your chopped lobster with 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise. The lobster should be coated, but not weighed down by the mayonnaise. Add in an additional tablespoon of mayonnaise, if needed.
• Throw in some additional items, if you desire. Nothing beats a good quality sandwich with some fresh lobster and a light coating of mayonnaise. But if you’re looking to get inventive with your roll, add in some chopped chives, green onions, or celery.
• Give it a taste-test. Taste the lobster salad. Some brands of mayonnaise have more tang than others. If the salad needs more brightness, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Season to taste with salt (if needed) and pepper.
• Let it chill. Cover the lobster salad and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow all the flavors to meld.
• Griddle those buns. When ready to serve, preheat a griddle over medium heat. Butter the sides of the hotdog buns and grill 1-2 minutes on each side, until toasted.
• Build the Roll. Apportion out the lobster salad into the toasted buns. Serve immediately with chips, French fries, or any other accoutrement.
• For authenticity, grab a split-top hot dog bun. Split-top hotdog buns are the traditional choice for Maine Lobster Rolls. If you can find New England-style buns that also have flat sides for toasting, your at-home experience will be especially authentic.
• Want some crunch? Add in some chopped celery to the lobster salad mixture before piling it high on your griddled buns.
• Give your lobster roll a touch of tart. Add-ins that are delicious with lobster, but do not appear in the more traditional Maine lobster recipes include capers, Dijon mustard, scallions, or even bacon.
• Get a little bougie. Top your lobster roll with a little helping of some Osetra or American Caviar. This will add a touch of brine and a little bit of luxury to your lobster roll, and are definitely worth snapping a photo.
Buy Maine Lobster Roll Kits Online
This recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's Lobster Roll Kit. Included in the kit is your choice of fresh, frozen, or raw lobster meat, and 4 made-in-Maine Buns. These kits make a great gift for friends and family who live out of State.
Alternatively, you can order the lobster meat seperately. We offer fresh Cooked Maine Lobster Meat and Raw Cold-Cracked Maine Lobster Meat.