Recipe: Bluefin Tuna Crudo with Pickled Watermelon
by SoPo Seafood's Jacqueline Clark AKA The Briny Babe - July 20, 2021
The warm summer weather has got us craving some chilled appetizers with big bursts of refreshing flavors. Lucky for us, the summer weather also brings along the opening of one of Maine’s most beloved fisheries—bluefin tuna. Bluefin tuna migrate north along the Atlantic Coast into the Gulf of Maine to feed on schools of mackerel, herring, squid and other baitfish that concentrate here in the warm months. For generations, Maine Fishermen have gone to sea to line catch these beautiful fish.
Bluefin tuna is one of the most prestigious fish on the market due to its luxurious flavor profile. Because of their delicious fatty meat, they’ve become a sought-after dish in many high-end restaurants. They are the perfect choice for sashimi or Tuna steak.
Our Bluefin Tuna Crudo with pickled watermelon is the perfect homage to this coveted fish. The simplicity of the preparation showcases the star of the dish, the Bluefin, while adding just a pop of refreshing tartness for a hot summer day.
Maine Bluefin Tuna Crudo Recipe Video
Prep Tip: 5 minutes
Marinate Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
• ½ cup white vinegar
• ¼ cup sugar
• ¼ cup watermelon, finely diced
• 1 TBSP red onion, finely diced
• 1 tsp mint, chiffonade
• 4 oz sushi-grade Bluefin tuna
• Olive oil, drizzled
• Cracked black pepper, to taste
• Coarse salt, to taste
• A sharp knife
• Small bowl for mixing
1. Combine vinegar and sugar in a bowl, and whisk till combined. Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator.
2. Add watermelon and red onion to the vinegar, and let marinate in the fridge an additional 5-10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, slice the tuna thinly and arrange on serving plate.
4. Drain watermelon and onions, and mix with mint.
5. Place watermelon mixture on tuna slices, and garnish with a healthy drizzle of olive oil, cracked black pepper, and kosher salt. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Buy Fresh Maine Bluefin Tuna Online
This recipe was created using SoPo Seafood's fresh wild-caught Maine Bluefin Tuna. The Bluefin we offer at SoPo Seafood is caught by hook and line by local fishermen in the Gulf of Maine. By ordering locally caught tuna you are directly supporting the working waterfront of Portland, Maine.